I want everyone to have a voice, to get their two cents worth in. The new mechanism for posting does nothing to limit speech. What it does do is give this online community a way to police itself.
Now when you post, you have a reputation to build or destroy. No more hiding in the noise. This does not mean that you aren't anonymous to the real world if you choose to be!
For those who are unsure about signing up because they worry that big brother will be watching and come after you, or you just aren't sure how to get back in the game, follow these steps:
1) go to this link http://www.gmail.com/ .
2) fill out and submit the form - you don't have to give your real name and you don't have to provide an e-mail address. The form contains...
- First name: This is what will appear on your comments
Last name: This only appears in the profile that nobody sees
Desired Login Name: This is what you will type into the username box when posting a comment
- Password: (twice to make sure you have what you intend to have)
Write it down where you will remember to look for it next time you want to use it or you might have to start all over again with some other name...
- Security Question: This helps you recover your password if you forget. I like to put in my own question so I can make it obscure and be certain of remembering what I answered!
- Answer: Your answer
- Secondary E-mail: You don't need one if you are worried that it could be tracked to you - leave it blank if you choose.
But Google will be the only one to know and it is another way to get your password back if you forget it and your security question or response.
- Word Verification: This is something Google does to ensure that only real people get accounts - it is mandatory, don't forget it.
This is a good thing folks. If you want to bawl somebody out for something they posted, you can just name them instead of having to quote them for context. You can duke it out mano-a-mano while the crowd roars it's approval, and nobody can pretend to be you and discredit what you have to say.
As a bonus you now have a google mail account that you can use to submit articles or trade private emails with others on the blog. If you need help setting that up - gmail has instructions or I can help if need be.
Welcome back with your shiny new Secret Identity fellow citizen!